[Halo or something else...] "Saturn-shape" atmospheric effect

Forum für Halo-Erscheinungen, Regenbögen, Blitze und alle anderen Lichterscheinungen, die neben Polarlichtern in der Erdatmosphäre auftreten.
Antworten
Nicolas Rossetto
[Halo or something else...] "Saturn-shape" atmospheric effect

Beitrag von Nicolas Rossetto » 2. Mai 2023, 20:47

Guten Abend aus Frankreich,

here is an odd case of atmospheric optics I wish to submit to you as I was digging recently searching for pollen coronas, as it is the season and because for some times now I see some of you posting image on this matter.

In July 2021, when I was eating my supper outside, sunglasses on, I saw a weird shape on the sun (this one was 15° above the horizon still), while it was going behind a part of the roof of my neighbor's house.
After dinner, I decided to try to picture it and manage to find some far object to make a mask on the sun, in order to see the Saturn-like shape mention on the title.
After discussing a bit with other atmospheric optics aficionados, nothing came up for now.
This is why I take the liberty to expose the subject here to see if some of you may have encounter such a phenomenon in the past.

Here is a first image in colour with a slight enhancement, in order to render the shape as I witnessed it:
Bild

Then with a blue minus red processing in order to discriminate the red fringe, it showed this:

Bild
We thought of some kind of pollen diffraction effect, but the shape is quite unusual for this matter.

and finally, the "horizontal extension" is not quite... horizontal!

Info at the time of the shooting (2021-07-01)
Sun height was between 8° and 15° above the horizon when I witnessed and pictured this effect (lasted at least 1 hour)
Sky clear of usual high altitude clouds but like shown in the picture, we could see airborne particles in the field of view. (dandelion pollen or other pollen or mosquitos maybe)
Canon 6D + 75-200mm lens (set at 80mm)

If you have an idea of what may cause this and/or have had a similar case...

Nicolas Rossetto

PS: If needed, I can share the raw files for extensive analysis of them

Edit reason: Link of second image has been changed.

Antworten